A recent global study published in the Lancet found that bad diets are responsible for more deaths that smoking. They found that about 11 million deaths a year are linked to poor diets around the globe.
The link between diet and physical and mental health cannot be overstated! We truly are what we eat, and diet has been proven again and again to influence every single aspect of our physical and mental health and well-being. However many of us (myself included) lead very busy lives and can sometimes find it challenging to find the time to eat a healthy and balanced diet. One trick that I have learned is to try and drink one homemade smoothie every day. The benefits of smoothies? They are easy and quick to make, you can use any ingredients you happen to have, they are easily portable, you can toss tons of healthy additions into it, and you could literally make a new flavor combination every day for the rest of your life! I recommend highly that you make plant-based smoothies and use ingredients with no added sugar or preservatives in order to maximize the health benefits. I thought I would share my basic smoothie recipe. However, the fun part about smoothies is that you can get super creative and put pretty much anything you like in it!
Dr. Campbell’s Smoothie Recipe (makes two 28-ounce servings):
- 3 cups of “liquid” base – I use things like a plant based milk (almond, cashew, or coconut), V8 sugar-free juices, and Naked juices
- 1-2 cups of fresh fruit or veggies – I like to use things like strawberries, blueberries and raspberries or avocados, kale or spinach
- 1 banana
- 2 heaping tablespoons of a nut butter like almond or cashew
- 2 scoops of a plant-based protein powder (I like Orgain)
- 2 scoops of “super greens” – I like Amazing Grass Green Superfood
- 2 servings of matcha powder (I like Superfoods – warning: contains caffeine)
- Any other powders that you might want to add such as probiotics, etc.
- Raisins, flax seeds, or any other healthy options I have laying around (toss in a handful or so)
- 1-2 cups of frozen fruit/veggies (you can use ANYTHING such as berries, mangos, cherries, etc.)
- CBD oil or just about anything else that you want to throw in!
Blend for several minutes and serve right away!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and/or it inspires you to create your own! Get blending and have fun!